Thursday, June 19, 2008

early summer action

just when i think everybody is shutting down for the season, Smokelong Quarterly comes out with a double issue whopper to celebrate their fifth birthday. All the kool kids are featured, and if you want to know what fiction is right now, read these stories and chase down the writers' links. I have a lovely virtual scrapbook of rejections from SQ, by the way.

Also, two trade paper copies of Anthony Neil Smith's novel, Yellow Medicine, showed up on the Mystery/Crime shelves at my local. I'm going to buy one today. Pretty book, and being named Smith places it in very close prox to Martin Cruz Smith, which has to be a plus. Plot summary on the jacket is almost unintelligible. Cool. Maybe it's a Joe R. Lansdale kinda thing?

1 comment:

Neil said...

If I had my way, the plot summary would say "I dare you to read this."

And it's also really close to Alexander McCall Smith on the shelves. I'm so afraid (and hopeful, as he sells more) it's going to confuse some poor fan of that guy's stuff.

Thanks!