Friday, July 4, 2008

Minesweeper

I took a few years off from writing short stories so I could work on novel projects, and as I ease back into the online fiction scene I am thrilled by the new flavor of feedback I’m getting: I read your story instead of doing work.

4 or 5 years ago response to my fiction was a little more serious, a little more practiced, a little more practical. More about what I’d accomplished than what the reader experienced. Even my rejections are more gut level: an editor recently wrote that my submission “just didn’t do it for me. I don’t know why.”

I’m working on a theory, and it doesn’t have much to do with me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Laura,

Just stumbled across your Petey Prickles story and am still wondering why I've never heard of you. What an incredible talent you are!I've found "Synapse and Grace" and will read that tonight.

You can reply to me at pbyall@gmail.com

I'm a fellow short story writer.