Monday, January 31, 2011

illegible undecipherable


is Curio story number 10. It suggests the essence of horror for me, but I'm not sure it will strike anyone else the same way. I mean, it's not even a story. Wednesday will be a real story, regular length, too.

Tomorrow, if class isn't canceled by the ice storm, we discuss chapter one of Steve Himmer's The Bee-Loud Glade, which is available for preorder now.

I feel really privileged to have been a bit on the inside as Steve was writing this book and seeking a publisher, and it seems like I've been teaching aspects of TBLG for a couple of semesters now. Because we’re tight, internet-style, I probably won’t do an official review of the novel (not my ethics, Steve’s, okay?). But I can write about it here and probably goodreads if I ever remember to go there. TBLG is a dreamy yet unnerving pastoral with the focused energy and attention of a novella, and it hits about 16 points on my "Write me this" wishlist.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Thanks, LES. I hope your students enjoy it.

And of course you can review it wherever you like, but your name is right there in the acknowledgements... Maybe there's a bigger conversation to be had about the ethics of reviewing? Maybe I'm being a curmudgeonly stickler?