Saturday, April 5, 2008

ink & paper

I like reading and writing, but I don’t like books as objects. As a teacher, I accumulate books at an alarming rate, and to me each one is a brick that takes up precious living space in my home. However, this week is Borders’ educator discount orgy, complete with karaoke reception (no joke), and this morning the old man and I made our second trip out to the sale. We went last night, but the aforementioned karaoke drove us away before we could find anything to buy. No karaoke today, and I ended up buying some absolute crap that I can’t wait to consume and recycle. Also a couple of good things—Mieville’s Perdido Street Station (to give to a student when she returns from China), Cox’s The Meaning of Night, and The McSweeney’s Joke Book of Book Jokes, which I’ve nearly finished already, it’s so mean and funny. Dean got Stephenson’s Cryptonomicon and Shirky’s Here Comes Everyone, which marks the first time he has ever bought from the “Business/Economics” shelf. Also, he found a copy of The Associated Press Stylebook left behind in a class room. Jessie, if this is yours, he’ll return it. Everyone else, back off.

No comments: