Thursday, June 18, 2009

Go back to J-school

John Roberts (mtv correspondent turned CNN morning anchor) made me mad today, and it was just a little thing, but cripes. After an otherwise sane exchange between Kiran Chetry and a senior editor from WIRED, JR gets all harumphy before he chimes in with something along the lines of, 'I don't get why some bloggers won't blog under their real names.'

Unrelated, but still pseudo journo bashy: when I started college I was a journalism major. When I switched to English, I thought my mom would be mad, seeing as there weren't clear professional options with a BA. But she surprised me. Said, "Oh thank God. I thought we were paying for you to learn how to become a pickpocket."

2 comments:

Ethel Rohan said...

Another "p" word, puppet, also comes to mind. I think there are many, many fine journalists out there, most well-intentioned and some doing excellent work, but really, at the end of the day, how much control do they have, for a myriad of reasons, over trying to render the "truth?"

Laura Ellen Scott said...

thanks ethel. your comment reminds me that I should not allow talking heads to represent all journalism. but that said, in the absence of content knowledge and mission, there should be something . . . the guys on fox fill in the gap with belief and emotion--dangerous, but compelling.